Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Chocolate Truffle Tart

I almost chickened out this week.  The recipe had a lot of steps.  I actually dug out my food processor that hasn't been used in at least 8 years.  The chocolate dough came together with no problems.

Rolling the dough out was a big problem.  I think my kitchen was too hot and the dough was too soft.  Managed to pat and patch.  I used the tart pan I had (and not the tartlet pans in the recipe) since I am trying not to buy more kitchen equipment.  I baked the empty crust a few minutes longer.  It's also been a long time since I separated 9 eggs!  I think my favorite part of the recipe was watching the egg yolks thicken up while they were beating.  Also baked the filled tart a few minutes longer than the recipe. 

My family loved it.  This tart is very rich.  My biggest critic, my son, even gave it a thumbs-up.  He proclaimed himself my "Kerry Vincent" for those of you who watch Food Network Challenge.  All the Tuesdays with Dorie Baking with Julia links are here and the recipe can be found on the hosts' blogs.  I haven't watched this yet (maybe I should have!) but here is the link to the PBS show with Julia Child.

Chocolate Truffle Tartlet Part 1
Chocolate Truffle Tartlet Part 2

Next up is Rugelach.

9 comments:

  1. Sorry you had a fussy crust - the end result was worth it, though! Thanks for baking along with me this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tart looks great! Sometimes you just have to 'go for it', as they say. :)

    Carmen
    http://bakingismy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was VERY worried about the crust - actually not nearly as bad as I thought. Holy chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tart looks great and was enjoyed by your family so it all worked itself out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess it's worth it that your family liked it. Isn't that what counts?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes...this is one of the best desserts you've ever made. And I am proud of you for sticking with it. It was even better on day 2!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks incredible. I may have to fudge on my Lenten fast! Do you think that the crust was soft because of the humidity? What's next?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for saving me a piece. It was phenomenal! Worth every one of the 23 Weight Watchers Points! (ouch) Great job, TWD Kailua!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The crust seemed to be a pain point for quite a few people this week.
    It sounds like it was well enjoyed and THAT is the ultimate measure of success.

    ReplyDelete